Guest Speakers Announced for USA Basketball Los Angeles Women in the Game Conference
The lineup of expected speakers at the USA Basketball Women in the Game conference set for April 7-8 at Windward School in Los Angeles today was announced, and the list includes professional females from high school basketball, the NCAA, the WNBA and sports media.
The expected speakers at the USA Basketball Los Angeles Women in the Game conference are:
- Kelly Barsky, University of California, Santa Barbara deputy athletics director/senior woman administrator
- Ruthie Bolton, two-time Olympic gold medalist
- Cori Close, court coach at the 2017 USA Women’s U23 National Team training camp and UCLA head women’s basketball coach
- Ashley Miller, WNBA Dallas Wings vice president of basketball operations
- Vanessa Nygaard, gold medal winning assistant coach for the 2017 USA U16 Women’s National Team and Windward School head girls basketball coach and senior associate athletic director
- LaChina Robinson, basketball analyst and founder of Stretch Beyond
- Wanda Szeremeta, NCAA women’s basketball regional advisor/evaluator
- Penny Toler, WNBA Los Angeles Sparks executive vice president and general manager
Registration for the conference is available online through April 6 or once capacity is met. More speakers are expected to be announced.
The USA Basketball Women in the Game initiative educates high school girls, college women and young professionals about career paths in the sports industry and how to turn a passion into an opportunity. Guest speakers from a variety of sports business fields will share their personal career journeys, essential characteristics to succeed in their roles, practical strategies to get started in the industry and how to sustain a position in a highly competitive sports industry.
Attendees will meet and hear from accomplished females who excel in their careers by exhibiting positive leadership and a dedicated work ethic.
The schedule on April 7 will include presentations from guest speakers, as well as breakout sessions and small group discussions between speakers and attendees. On Sunday, April 8, participants will engage in coaching and event management workshops, before helping to conduct an exhibition game at Windward.
The cost to attend the conference is $65, which includes all sessions, USA Basketball giveaways and lunch on April 7.
In addition to the two-day event, the 2018 USA Basketball Women in the Game initiative for the first time will provide attendees the opportunity to apply for entry into the USA Basketball Women in the Game mentorship program. The six-week program will connect conference attendees (mentees) with experienced professionals in the sports industry (mentors) to help develop future female leaders in sports. Weekly discussion topics will guide the interaction between the mentee and mentor through phone and email communication. Participants who register for the conference will receive more information about the optional mentorship program.
More information about the USA Basketball Women in the Game initiative can be found at usab.com/youth/usa-basketball-women-in-the-game.
A second USA Basketball Women in the Game Conference is planned for September 2018 on the East Coast, and more information on that event will be announced at a later date.