Speakers Added to USA Basketball Women in the Game Conference in Washington, D.C.
The list of expected speakers for the 2018 USA Basketball Women in the Game conference now includes professionals from USA Basketball, NBA, NBA G-League, NCAA, ESPN and more. The conference will take place Sept. 9-10 at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
“USA Basketball is excited to conduct a Women in the Game conference in September in Washington, D.C.,” said Jim Tooley, USA Basketball CEO. “This is the third Women in the Game within the past year and our first on the East Coast. The response and reviews by everyone involved have exceeded our expectations. USA Basketball is really proud of this initiative, and we are grateful to the impressive lineup of speakers who will share their experiences to help other girls and young women learn about the opportunities within sport, and hopefully aid them in finding a path to a successful career.”
The USA Basketball Women in the Game initiative educates high school girls and college and professional women about career paths in the sports industry and how to turn a passion into an opportunity.
Registration is available online.
Expected to speak at the USA Basketball D.C. Women in the Game are:
- Val Ackerman, Big East Commissioner
- Natasha Adair, University of Delaware Women’s Basketball Head Coach
- Shyra Ely-Gash, Wardrobe Stylist
- Alexys Feaster, NBA Director of Player Development
- Kathleen Francis, WISE President and Oasis Sports Ventures Founder & President
- Diane Gotua, NBA Vice President of Global Business Operations
- Joanna Lohman, Washington Spirit (NSWL) Player & Athlete Ally Activist
- JoAn Scott, NCAA Men’s Basketball Championships Managing Director
- Dr. Caroline Silby, Sports Psychologist
- Carol Stiff, ESPN Vice President Programming & Acquisitions
- Karleena Tobin, NBA G-League Official
- Andrea Travelstead, USA Basketball Manager, Youth Division
- Tanya Vogel, The George Washington University Director of Athletics and Recreation
The speakers will share their personal career journeys, essential characteristics to succeed in their roles, practical strategies to get started in the industry and how to sustain a position in a highly competitive sports industry.
The program includes lecture sessions and interactive group discussions to broaden perspectives on working in the sport industry. Attendees will meet and hear from accomplished females who excel in their careers by exhibiting positive leadership and a dedicated work ethic.
USA Basketball’s Women in the Game conference offers a six-week on-going mentorship program to attendees who apply and are selected for entry. The mentorship program connects conference attendees (mentees) with experienced professionals in the sports industry (mentors) to develop personal and professional goals, gain new perspectives and advance within their current or future careers. Weekly discussion topics will guide the interaction between the mentee and mentor through phone and email communication.
Application into the mentorship program is entirely optional, and there are no additional fees should an attendee be selected into the program. All participants who register for the Women in the Game conference will receive a follow up email with instructions on how to apply into this optional mentorship program.