Speakers Announced for USA Basketball Women in the Game Bay Area Conference
Conference Hosted in Affiliation with the Golden State Warriors
The lineup of speakers at the USA Basketball Women in the Game conference from May 18-19 at Las Positas College in Livermore, California, has been announced and includes professionals from organizations such as the Golden State Warriors, United States Olympic Committee, NBA and the San Francisco 49ers, as well as colleges and collegiate conferences. Registration is available online.
Expected to speak at the USA Basketball Women in the Game Bay Area Conference are:
- Jennifer Azzi, NBA Academy women's program technical director, USF director of special initiatives & 1996 Olympic gold medalist
- Lisa Goodwin, Golden State Warriors senior director, corporate communications
- Teresa Gould, Pacific-12 Conference senior associate commissioner, sports management and institutional services
- Sarah Hirshland, United States Olympic Committee chief executive officer
- Stacy McCorkle, San Francisco 49ers director of community relations
- Dr. Kelli E. Moran-Miller, Stanford University director, sport psychology for athletics
- Gloria Nevarez, West Coast Conference commissioner
- Heather Stewart, Christopher High School girls basketball head coach & USA Basketball Youth Development regional coordinator
- Victoria Sun, sports administrative specialist
The conference will be hosted in affiliation with the Golden State Warriors and will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 18 and from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Sunday, May 19. Participants will be provided with a catered lunch on May 18, and small breakfast on May 19 and will receive USA Basketball gift items.
The first 50 registrants will receive a discounted price of $65. Standard registration is $80.
The USA Basketball Women in the Game initiative, which is in its third year in 2019, exposes high school girls, college women and emerging professionals to career paths in the sports industry to develop and prepare the next generation of female leaders in sport.
Guest speakers from a variety of sports business fields will share their personal career journeys, essential characteristics to succeed in their roles, practical strategies to get started in the industry and how to sustain a position in a highly competitive sports industry. In addition to guest speaker-led sessions, attendees will engage in small group discussions and workshops focused on professional development, leadership training and interactive experiences in the business of sports.
The USA Basketball Women in the Game conference also offers the possibility of a six-week on-going mentorship program to attendees who apply and are selected for entry. The mentorship program connects conference attendees (mentees) with experienced professionals in the sports industry (mentors) to develop personal and professional goals, gain new perspectives and advance within their current or future careers. Weekly discussion topics guide the interaction between the mentee and mentor via phone and email communication. Application instructions are shared during each individual event registration process.