On This Day In Olympic History
From July 24-Aug. 9, the span of days that the 2020 Olympics were originally scheduled, USA Basketball is taking a look back at various Olympic facts and and happenings from our Olympic historical vault. Join us on our 2020 Olympic flashback journey!
Aug. 9: Olympics Day 17
- Video (YouTube): Soviets Speak on the 1972 U.S. Olympic Men's Silver, USA Men Win Seventh-Straight Gold in 1968 & Naismith Hall of Fame Enshrinement for the 1960 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- Facts & Photos: 1936-1988 U.S. Olympic Men's Teams
- Complete Recaps of the U.S. Olympic Men's Teams: 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1984 & 1988
- On this Day: Today would have been the 2020 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony; in 2012 Tina Charles and Diana Taurasi scored 14 points apiece to down Australia 86-73 in the semifinals; in 2008 the U.S. women were powered to a 97-57 victory over the Czech Republic behind 14 points from Sylvia Fowles and 12 from Cappie Pondexter; Bob Kurland scored 19 points in a 1948 USA quarterfinal 63-28 victory over Uruguay; today also marks the anniversary of the USA's first Olympic men's basketball game, a 52-28 blowout of Estonia that was led by Frank Lubin's 13 points.
Aug. 8: Olympics Day 16
- Video: Dream Team's Naismith Hall of Fame Enshrinement Speech & 1992 U.S. Olympic Men's Highlights
- Facts & Photos: 1992 USA Men's Dream Team
- Complete Recap of the 1992 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- On this Day: In 2016, both the men's and women's team earned victories in their respective tournaments -- Paul George scored 20 points to lead the USA men to a 113-69 victory over Venezuela, and Diana Taurasi's 13 points led the women to a 103-63 win over Spain; In 2012, Kobe Bryant scored 20 points in a 119-86 quarterfinal victory over Australia; The 1992 men claimed gold and a 117-85 victory over Croatia behind 22 points from Michael Jordan; In 1984, Chris Mullin poured in 20 points as the USA defeated Canada 78-59 in semifinal action.
Aug. 7: Olympics Day 15
- Video (YouTube): 2016 U.S. Women's Gold Medal Game
- Facts & Photos: 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- On this Day: The 2016 women, behind 15 points apiece from Sylvia Fowles, Breanna Stewart and Diana Taurasi, scored a U.S. women's single-game record 121 points against Senegal; in 2012 Taurasi's 15 points led the way to a 91-48 quarterfinal win over Canada; In 1992 Teresa Edwards scored 18 points in the USA's 88-74 bronze medal victory over Cuba and Edwards becomes the USA's first athlete, male or female, to medal in three Olympic basketball competitions; Cheryl Miller powered the 1984 team to gold with a 16-point, 11-rebound performance as the U.S. downed South Korea 85-55 in the final; and in 1936 the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony was held.
Aug. 6: Olympics Day 14
- Video (YouTube): 2016 USA Men Gold Medal Game Highlights & 2016 U.S. Men Arrive in Rio
- Facts & Photos: 2016 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2016 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- On this Day: Five men's teams captured victories on this day in Olympic history. In 2016 Kevin Durant scored 25 points in a 119-62 drubbing of China; in 2012 Durant's 28 points paced the U.S. to a 126-97 win over Argentina; in 1992 Michael Jordan finished with 21 points and six steals in a 127-76 semifinal victory over Lithuania; the 1984 squad got 17 points from Steve Alford in a 78-67 quarterfinal win over West Germany; and in 1948, Wally Jones scored 12 points in a lopsided 61-33 finish over Peru.
Aug. 5: Olympics Day 13
- Video (YouTube): USA Women vs. Australia 2008 Gold Medal Game & 2008 Memories with Tina Thompson, Lisa Leslie & Kara Lawson
- Complete Recap of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball Team
- Facts & Photos: 2008 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- On this Day: The 2012 U.S. women, behind 22 points from Diana Taurasi and Angel McCoughtry's record-setting 8-of-8 shooting from the field, defeated China 114-66; the 1992 U.S. women fell to the Unified Team 79-73 in the semifinals, despite receiving 12 points from Medina Dixon, a record nine steals from Suzie McConnell and a record 16-rebound performance from Katrina McClain; in 1984, Anne Donovan scored 14 points to lead the USA to a 92-61 victory over Canada.
Aug. 4: Olympics Day 12
- Video: Last Four Minutes USA Men's 1984 Gold Medal Game vs. Spain & 1984 USA Men's Quarterfinal vs. Germany
- Facts & Photos: 1984 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- Complete Recap of the 1984 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- On this Day: Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James poured in 20 points apiece to lead the 2012 U.S. team to a 99-94 victory over Lithuania; the 1995-95 USA Women's National Team saw its year-long journey come to a golden finish with a 111-87 victory over Brazil in the gold medal game behind a team-high 29 points from Lisa Leslie. Additionally, in securing the win, the '96 women shot a U.S. Olympic women's single-game record 66.2% from the field; In 1992 Chris Mullin netted 21 points in a 115-77 quarterfinal win over Puerto Rico; with the help of 24 points from Michael Jordan and a double-double of 12 points and a U.S. Olympic men's record (tie) 12 assists from Leon Wood, the 1984 squad downed Spain 101-68; and in 1948 Don Barksdale scored a high of 17 points asthe USA defeated Egypt 66-28.
Aug. 3: Olympics Day 11
- Video (YouTube): 1996 USA Men vs. China & Muhammad Ali Receives Replacement Medal
- Facts & Photos: 1996 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- Complete Recap of the 1996 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- On this Day: In 2012, the women defeated Czech Republic 88-61, led by 18 points from Diana Taurasi and a U.S. Olympic women’s single-game record of 62 rebounds; in 1996 the USA men collected the gold medal with a 95-69 win over Yugoslavia as David Robinson capped his Olympic career with a 28-point outburst; in 1992 Medina Dixon tallied a U.S. Olympic women’s record 28 points, which now lists fourth on the list, and the USA squad set a new scoring record in the 114-59 victory over Spain; Steve Alford went 8-of-8 from the field for 16 points to lead the 1984 team to a 91-55 victory over France; also in 1984, behind Lynette Woodard's 15 points and 14 more from Janice Lawrence, China fell to the American squad 91-55; and in 1948, the USA’s 59-57 close win over Argentina was led by 12 points apiece from Don Barksdale and Gordon Carpenter.
Aug. 2: Olympics Day 10
- Video: 2012 U.S. Men vs. Spain in the Gold Medal Game
- Facts & Photos: 2012 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- On this Day: Carmelo Anthony set a U.S. record with 37 points (13-16 FGs and 10-12 3-pointers) in just 14 minutes of action to lead the USA past Nigeria 156-73, and the 156 points also set a U.S. Olympic men’s single-game scoring record; double-doubles from Lisa Leslie (22 points, 13 rebounds) and Katrina McClain (18 points, 15 rebounds) powered the 1996 women to a 93-71 semifinal defeat of Australia; Charles Barkley scored a team-high 20 points in 1992 as the USA drubbed Spain 122-81; in 1984 the USA women beat South Korea 84-47 with the help of 15 points from Lynette Woodard; Clyde Lovelette’s nine points led the U.S. in a 36-25 victory over the Soviet Union in the 1952 gold medal game; and Vince Boryla notched nine points as the 1948 squad downed Czechoslovakia 53-28.
Aug. 1: Olympics Day 9
- Video (YouTube): Gold Medal Game USA Women vs. Australia
- Facts & Photos: 2000 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2000 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- On this Day: In 2012, the USA women, led by Angel McCoughtry’s 18 points and a U.S. Olympic women’s single-game record of 10-of-10 from the line, defeated Turkey 89-58; the 1996 men, paced by a double-double of 24 points and 11 rebounds from Charles Barkley, defeated Australia 101-73 in the semifinal to advance to the gold medal game; Medina Dixon scored 19 points and the team set a U.S. record for field goals attempted (90) in a 93-67 victory over China in 1992; in 1984 the USA men downed Uruguay 104-68 behind Patrick Ewing’s 17 points and nine rebounds.
July 31: Olympics Day 8
- Video (YouTube): Second Half of 1988 USA Women vs. Yugoslavia
- Facts & Photos: 1988 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- Complete Recap of the 1988 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- On this Day:Between 1948 and 2012, there were six USA games played in the Olympics. In 2012 Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love tallied 16 points each as the USA defeated Tunisia 110-63; the 1996 women defeated Japan 108-96 in the quarterfinals as Lisa Leslie scored a USA single-game Olympic women’s record 35 points and Katrina McClain tied the rebounding record with 16; Charles Barkley’s 30 points led the 1992 Dream Team to a 127-83 win over Brazil; Cheryl Miller scored 20 points to help the 1984 squad to a 81-47 thrashing of Australia; in 1952, Clyde Levelette topped the USA’s scorers with 27 points in a 85-76 downing of Argentina; and the 1948 men, behind 19 points from Alex Groza, defeated Switzerland 86-21.
July 30: Olympics Day 7
- Video (YouTube): 2012 Gold Medal Game vs. France & USA interviews prior to 2012 game vs. Australia
- Facts & Photos: 2012 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- On this Day: A double-double of 14 points, 12 rebounds and a U.S. Olympic single-game record four blocked shots from Candace Parker led the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team to a 90-38 defeat of Angola while the squad set a team record with 11 blocks; in 1996 Penny Hardaway scored 14 points as the USA defeated Brazil 98-75 in quarterfinal action; the 1992 women defeated Czechoslovakia 111-55 behind 18 points from Cynthia Cooper and a U.S. Olympic women’s single-game record of 40 steals; in 1984 Michael Jordan knocked down 20 points in a 89-68 victory over Canada; in 1952 the USA men edged Brazil 57-53 as Clyde Lovelette put up a team-high 11 points.
July 29: Olympics Day 6
- Video: Vince Carter Dunk
- Facts & Photos: 2000 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2000 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- On this Day: A near double-double of 22 points and nine rebounds from Kevin Durant led the 2012 squad to a 98-71 win over France; in 1996, Nikki McCray scored 16 points as the U.S. team downed South Korea 105-64; in 1992 the Dream Team defeated Germany 111-68 behind 19 points from Larry Bird, 18 points from Karl Malone and 12 assists from Michael Jordan, which tied the U.S. Olympic men’s single-game assist record; the 1984 Olympics saw the USA claim victories in men’s and women’s basketball on July 29. Alvin Robertson (18 points) and Michael Jordan (14 points) led the USA men in a 97-49 victory over China, and Cheryl Miller’s 23 points helped pave the way to the women’s 83-55 win over Yugoslavia; in 1952 Clyde Lovelette scored a then-USA record 25 points to lead the U.S. to a lopsided 103-55 victory over Chile.
July 28: Olympics Day 5
- Video (YouTube): Olympic Channel Features Kobe Bryant on 2008 Memories & Replay of USA vs. Spain in the 2008 Gold Medal Game
- Complete Recap of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Men's Basketball Team
- Facts & Photos: 2008 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Men's Team
- On this Day: In 2012 Tina Charles scored 14 points in her Olympic debut to lead the U.S. women to an 81-56 victory over Croatia; In 1996 Mitch Richmond’s 16 points led the U.S. men to a 102-71 defeat of Croatia; In 1952, Bob Kurland scored a team-high 15 points to lead the USA to an 86-58 preliminary round win over the Soviets, which the USA went on to down 36-25 in the gold medal game.
July 27: Olympics Day 4
- Video (YouTube): 20 Years Later: Catching Up with the 1996 U.S. Olympic Women & NBC Sports: Beginning of a Women's Basketball Dynasty in 1996
- Complete Recap of the 1996 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball Team
- Facts & Photos: 1996 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- Complete Recap of the 1996 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- On this Day: Behind a pair of double-double performances from Teresa Edwards and Katrina McClain, and in front of a then-women’s Olympic basketball record crowd of 33,952, the 1996 U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team defeated Australia 96-79; In 1992, the Dream Team defeated Croatia 103-70 behind 21 points from Michael Jordan and a U.S. Olympic men’s single-game record 32 steals; The 1976 U.S. men captured gold with a 95-74 victory over Yugoslavia as Adrian Dantley scored a team-high 30 points, which currently is tied for fourth-most for U.S. Olympic men’s single-game points total; In 1952 the U.S. men defeated Uruguay after a then-U.S. scoring record (tie) 21 points from Bob Kurland.
July 26: Olympics Day 3
- Video: 2004 Memories with Sue Bird, Tamika Catchings & Dawn Staley
- Facts & Photos: 2004 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- Complete Recap of the 2004 U.S. Olympic Women's Team
- On this Day: Scottie Pippen's 24-point performance led seven U.S. players in double-digit scoring as the 1996 U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball Team set four USA Olympic records and, in the process, trounced China 133-70 in front of an Olympic basketball record crowd of 34,417 on July 26 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta; In 1992, Charles Barkley scored 24 points as the Dream Team opened play with a 68-point, 116-48 victory over Angola; Both the U.S. men and women earned victories on this day in 1976 -- Scott May’s 22 points led the men to a 95-77 victory over Canada in the semifinals, and Lusia Harris scored 17 points in a 83-67 victory over Czechoslovakia, which clinched the USA’s silver medal; In 1952 the USA men defeated Czechoslovakia 72-47 behind 14 points from Bob Kurland.
July 25: Olympics Day 2
- Video (YouTube): Billie Moore Speaks to Fort Worth Weekly About 1976 Experience & 1976 Olympians Speak to Knoxville News Sentinel
- Complete Recaps of the U.S. Olympic Women's Teams: 1976, 1980 & 1984
- Facts & Photos: 1976-1984 U.S. Olympic Women's Teams
- On this Day: In 1996, the USA women's team defeated Zaire 107-47 as Jennifer Azzi poured in 18 points and the team set a U.S. Olympic women's single-game record with its 60-point margin of victory; Tied 37-37 at halftime, the U.S. outscored Czechoslovakia 46-30 in the second half to earn a 83-67 win and clinch the silver medal at the inaugural women's basketball competition at the 1976 Montreal Olympics; At the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, University of Missouri and Peoria Caterpillars guard Dan Pippen scored a team-high 13 points to lead the USA men to a 66-48 victory over Hungary.
July 24: Olympics Day 1
- Video: Dawn Staley talks about her memories of being the 2004 U.S. Olympic Team flag bearer for Opening Ceremony.
- Photo Gallery: U.S. Basketball Teams at Opening Ceremonies
- Feature: Today would have marked the beginning of the 2020 Olympic Games with an elaborate Opening Ceremony in Tokyo. Instead, USA Basketball looks back to the 2004 Opening Ceremony when Dawn Staley became the first basketball player, and just third African American, to carry the U.S. flag into an Olympics Opening Ceremony.
- On this Day: In 1996 Charles Barkley scored a team-best 16 points to lead the USA in a 104-82 victory over Lithuania; Behind 14 points and six rebounds from Mitch Kupchak and 12 points and 11 boards from Scott May, the U.S. squad defeated Czechoslovakia 81-76 in Montreal in 1976.