2021 USA Basketball Women's U16 Team Trials Information
USA Basketball looks forward to an eventful 2021 with the health and safety of all participants as the foremost goal.Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 USA Women’s U16 National Team trials will be designed differently than previous years. Some of the changes include:
- Limited number of athletes with approximately 30 players total (20 invited athletes and 10 applicant athletes).
- Team selection will occur during the first three days of training camp.
- On court activites will begin June 3 following a three day local quarantine period (May 31-June 2).
- Daily COVID testing will be implemented (details forthcoming).
- Guests will not be allowed to attend.
USA Basketball health protocols are based on CDC guidelines and have been successfully implemented during USA Basketball senior-level events.
The USA Basketball Developmental National Team Committee is responsible for identifying participants and team selection. The committee will determine approximately 20 athletes to receive an invitation to attend training camp. Those athletes will be sent their invitation by March 26. All interested athletes may apply to attend by submitting an application no later than April 2. A maximum of 10 applicant athletes will be included in the training camp, as determined by the committee. Athletes will be notified of the committee’s decision to attend the training camp by April 12.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to our COVID protocols, players who make the final roster will not be returning home between team selection and competition. As a result, all athletes must arrive on May 31 with all necessary items through June 28.
2021 FIBA Americas U16 Championship
The 2021 FIBA Americas U16 Championship will be held from June 20-27 in Santiago, Chile. The process to select the 12-member team will begin May 31 at a to-be-determined location. Players eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens born on or after January 1, 2005.
|May 31 – June 19||Team Selection & Training Camp||TBD and International Locations|
|June 20-27||FIBA Americas U16 Championship||Santiago, Chile|
Training Camp Components
- Sessions will include individual skills, 3x3 tournament and scrimmage opportunities.
- The number of participants may be reduced at any time following the first two scrimmage opportunities.
- USA Basketball will be responsible for all expenses for invited participants and the final 12-member team.
- Applicant athletes are responsible for the following:
- Arranging and paying for own air travel to team selection
- Please Note:
- Due to our COVID protocols, parents will not be allowed to attend. USA Basketball will fully staff arrivals to greet all players at the airport.
- We highly recommended that applicant athletes wait until confirmation (April 12) before purchasing airline tickets.
- $80 registration fee, received no later than April 2 with completed online application (no checks/money orders will be accepted).
- USA Basketball will provide local ground transportation, lodging and all meals .
- All athletes (invited and applicant) must complete an online registration and provide:
- Statement from physician medically clearing participation (high school physicals within last school year will be accepted).
- Provide a copy of their birth certificate.
- Possession of a current U.S. Passport.
- The USA Basketball Developmental National Team Committee will determine participants should the number of applications exceed the number of available spaces.
- Trials participants will be confirmed by April 12. If an athlete is not selected to attend then the registration fee will be refunded.
- If an athlete applies to attend and then receives an invitation, the registration fee will be refunded.
|March 26||Invitations sent to invited athletes|
|April 2||Applications due for applicant athletes|
|April 12||Committee confirms applicant athletes to participate|
Further information is available by emailing Briana Weiss (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (510-325-1933).